This building is today called the "Rosenkrantz Tower" named after Governor Erik Rosenkrantz who remodelled it in 1560 and gave it its present appearance. Before modelling the old medieval tower was called King Magnus the Law-Mender's Castle by the Sea. This tower is in its entirety part of today's tower.
This room is the upper half of what in medieval times was the king's third-floor bedroom. The first floor was the guard room for the king's soldiers; the second floor was the king's private chapel. There is little doubt that King Magnus had strong ties to the Catholic Church, and particularly to the Franciscan friars who lived in Vågsbotn where Bergen's cathedral now stands. Perhaps this mendicant order gave the king the idea to care for the poor and weak in society through his National Law of 1274.
King Magnus the Law-Mender's National Law of 1274 was one of the few cases of country-wide legislation produced in medieval Europe. The king used it to reform Norway's justice system, and one aspect that was new was to give rights to the poor and weak.